Types of Federal Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grants

The Pell Program provides a federal grant to students whose family contributions cannot equal total college expenses. The Pell Grant is made available to students enrolled at least half-time who demonstrate a proven need through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Access Missouri Grants

This state grant program is available to Missouri residents who are enrolled as full-time students, demonstrate financial need, and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by February 1st of the preceding academic year. In addition renewal recipients are required to maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

Supplemental grants are offered at MVC’s discretion to exceptionally needy students who are enrolled full time and receive a Pell Grant. This federal grant is designed to assist students with financial need that cannot be met through other means. Funding amounts are limited, and a student’s institutional award may be adjusted as a result of receiving SEOG funds.

Subsidized Federal Direct Loans

The federal government guarantees loans from $3,500 to $5,500 per academic year for eligible undergraduates. These loans are made by the Department of Education, and interest is subsidized by the federal government. These loans are given to students who demonstrate a proven need through the Application for Federal Student Aid.

Eligible Subsidized Direct Loan Borrower Limits:

1st year of study $3,500/academic year
2nd year of study $4,500/academic year
3rd, 4th, & 5th year of study $5,500/academic year
Cumulative Subsidized Limit $23,000

These loans qualify for federal interest subsidy while the borrower is in school at least half-time. Students must file the FAFSA to determine eligibility for a Subsidized Direct Loan.

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan

Students who meet the eligibility requirements under Section 484 of the Higher Education Amendments and who do not qualify for interest subsidies under the Direct Loan program may borrow under the Unsubsidized Direct Loan Program. Unsubsidized loans are not need based, however, and interest accruing on the loan is not subsidized (or paid) by the Federal Government while the student is in school.

Federal Parent Loans To Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Parents may borrow for dependent students under the PLUS program. The maximum amount a parent can borrow on behalf of each eligible student is limited to the cost of education, less financial aid.

Student Employment Program

Full-time resident students are given the option of participating in the Student Employment Program. Earnings from this program are paid directly to the account that is supplied by the student, and do not reduce the amount due on the student billing statement. The Student Employment Program is not guaranteed Financial Aid and must be earned by the student. Students attending under the employee tuition grant policy will not be eligible for this program.

Federal Work Study Program

This is a federally funded program that provides jobs for undergraduate students who have financial need. Awards range up to $1,900 per year. Federal College Work Study is not guaranteed Financial Aid and must be earned by the student. These earnings are paid directly to a bank account supplied by the student and do not reduce the amount due on the student billing statement.


A variety of scholarships are awarded to students who have excelled in fields of study, community activities, or athletic competition. Missouri Valley College Admissions Counselors can advise prospective students of the full program of available scholarships.

Endowed Scholarships

Endowed scholarships are available as a result of a gift from alumni and friends of Missouri Valley College. These scholarships provide invaluable educational access to students that otherwise may not be able to afford this academic opportunity and privilege. Many of these awards are available to students who meet specific criteria. To apply for an endowed scholarship, you must complete and submit an Endowed Scholarship Application by June 15th of the preceding academic year.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans who believe they may be eligible for benefits under the G.I. Bill should contact their local Veterans Administration Office and the MVC Registrar’s Office.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Assistance may be available for students with disabilities. Students should contact their regional office of Vocational Rehabilitation in regard to benefits.

Alternative Student Loans

Alternative loans are private student loans from third-party lenders. Alternative loans are credit based loans that either the student or parent may apply for. Most of the time a student who applies for an alternative loan will need a co-signer. Alternative loans are applied for by the student and certified by the College.